Monday 18 March 2013

Weekend Warrior Report - Aeroplanes, Wookies and Frost bitten toes!

Ah looks a beaut of a morning I told myself. Might even wear shorts instead of my heavily used "Max Wall" leggings. I began to have my doubts while leaning up a lamppost next to the designated traffic island and meeting place for the CCCP tarmac warriors latest outing. The fact that my feet were starting to numb up after the 2 mile ride to said meeting place should really have persuaded me to nip back for my overshoes.

The Little Bear came around the corner with full winter kit on and a banana sticking out of his mouth. Skidding to a halt, he lost the majority of it in the gutter. I couldn't understand what expletive he uttered, as his face was full of the remains of said banana.

Only two CCCPers out this week but thats a 100% improvement on last week. "I had a bad curry last night, and I haven't been doing much, so lets make it a short one eh" Exclaimed the Little bear.

Let me take this opportunity to introduce you to the Little Bear. 5 foot 6 of wiry, OCD suffering rug smuggler. Part human, part Wookie, hence the moniker. Great guy to have on your team because he is actually the only member of the CCCP who can fix a bike beyond a puncture. His steed is always immaculately turned out, and can tell you what gearing a rider is using from 50 yards out. But for gods sake don't start him on Roofing (his profession) or world war 2 aeroplane engines (his dirty little secret).

So we took off down the main road towards Rugeley from Hednesford and all seemed well, apart from my bloody freezing feet. Out the otherside and we were in the countryside. Now its probably fair to say the Little Bear hadn't been doing much lately, and hills have never been his favourite, but not long ago, he was in top shape and they didn't seem to bother him. To much beer and cuzza of late has slowed him down a touch, but he seemed to be keeping pace and even took a turn on the front.

After a few miles we spotted two riders ahead at the foot of a climb, so we put the hammer down a bit to catch em. As we got closer we noticed it was two women. So summoning our best Contador climbing impressions, and holding our bellies in, we skipped past the young ladies with a polite "Morning". I ploughed on assuming the Little Bear was on my wheel, and within a couple of miles had reached the top, then to enjoy the 35mph+ downhiller on the other side. At the bottom there's a cafe, (Where I intended to buy some hot chocolate to pour over my feet) so I pulled over and looked around expecting to see the Little Bear speeding down the hill. No sign....

A minute or so later the girls we had passed came down the slope and streaked past. Where's the Bear? Moments later he appeared in full aero position, arse hanging off the back of the seat. After pulling up to a halt I asked what happened. "I hate bloody hills!"He hissed,  "I'd passed the girls with you, then my legs decided they weren't up to it, and the ladies returned the compliment by breezing past me while I struggled to keep the wheels going round"

Now I've long learned my lesson about underestimating the fairer sex on a bike, but the Little Bear had over estimated his prowess - this was to good to keep quiet. Sorry Bear, had to publish and be damned!

Coffee and cake later, we took on the best of hills around Cannock Chase before heading back home before my feet fell off or the Bear's legs seized up. Great ride though, and its the start of the CCCP's preseason training for the "East to West Near Naked Man" run and whatever other lunatic escapade we decide upon this year. Personally I have the Coast to Coast taking in Hard Knott Pass to look forward to at the end of this month - thats a doozy! 30% in some places.

2 comments:

  1. The Saturday night curry was truly awful. I was enjoying the banana and it broke! The bike still needs cleaning and yes I'm on a compact 50 with 12/26 cassette.

    Oh, and some of us check the weather reports before getting ready to go out into the elements. It was forecast cold and wet, what would you wear? I was in full winter gear with overshoes and snood! I was warm enough.

    And so off we went, I know I'm not in full form yet, a few pounds to shed and endurance training to get the legs back into action. I know on form I can hold my own.

    About ten miles in, we were on the Wolseley Arms to Devil's Punch Bowl run, a two and a half mile gradual but draining up-hill. It is true we saw the two bods ahead and put the hammer down. YJ had gone and was two hundred metres in front by the time I reached the other riders. I went past at a really quite reasonable pace with the obligatory 'Good morning, ladies' and carried on feeling quite happy with myself. All I've got to do now is keep to a reasonable pace so they can't catch me before the crest. Massive fail; two hundred metres to go and down the gears went and up came the ladies. They were holding a steady 12-15 mph and I was down to 10. 'Hello again, you've reeled me in, I know my limitations on this hill', I said chirpilly, thinking to myself 'Oh, bugger!'.

    That was it, I'd lost. Nothing left to do but minimise the humiliation and press on as hard as I could.

    Some minutes later, I arrived at the designated cafe stop for a welcome cuppa. We were there for sometime watching the passing of the Stafford half marathon. Why do people put themselves through the personal torture of running, I can't see the fun myself.

    The run home involved a short sharp climb up Broc Hill. Nasty, nasty little hill with a longer drag to the crest, but feels great when you've beaten it.

    Not content with a nice little morning ride, I accepted the challenge from the significant other, Mrs C to a run around Chasewater as part of her training for next weekend's Lighting run at Catton Park. What did I say about running. I actually quite enjoyed it and, may be it'll help with the stamina on the bike.

    Bring on the summer and the CCCP challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice retort Chewie

    ReplyDelete